SPECIAL INTENTION FOR PRAYER
The SIP or Special Intention for Prayer. It is based off the Catholic concept of a Novena. A Novena is a prayer, or set of prayers, that are repeated for 9 days. You can get a much more detailed answer here in the Original Catholic Encyclopedia.
Mine are only a week long and are based on whatever I feel God is leading me to pray for. We’ll see how this goes.
This week’s SIP is for the victims of Human Trafficking. My interest has been piqued recently by the movie The Whistleblower.
Here are quick facts from the End it Movement:
- Slavery occurs where one person exercises the ‘right’ of ownership over a person.2 (League of Nations)
- They are held against their will often under the threat of violence. Physical, emotional and mental abuse is often part of their enslavement.3 (IJM)
- Slavery still exists. It is estimated that there are anything between 10 million and 27 million slaves in the world today.4 (ILO and freetheslaves.net)
- The reason for this broad range is that those people being counted are largely a ‘hidden’ population.5 (CNN Freedom Project)
- It is estimated that human trafficking alone generates annual profits of around $32 billion.6 (ILO)
- The majority of trafficking victims are between 18 and 24 years of age.7 (UN.GIFT)
- In 1850, the cost of a slave (in today’s dollars) was $40,000, the avg. price of a slave today is $90.8 (Free the Slaves)
- The victims most vulnerable are women and children. Children in particular are sold, bonded, trafficked, subjected to commercial sexual exploitation, recruited into armed conflicts and forced to work as domestic workers.9 (antislavery.org)
- Several factors contribute to the persistence of slavery practices despite it being illegal in most countries, most significantly, poverty, the lack of enforcement of anti-slavery laws, and crime and corruption, including at the state level.10 (Free the Slaves)
- Slavery has various forms today including human trafficking, forced labour, descent-based slavery, bonded labour and child labour.11 (antislavery.org)
- Other less known forms of slavery include domestic servitude, forced marriage and those traded for the purpose of organ removal.12 (United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime)
Here is my prayer:
You created each of us in your image. You created each of “fearfully and wonderfully”. You created us to be owned by you and no one else. There are those who treat your creation as property, who disregard your image in themselves and in others. People are traded. Children are held in bondage and forced to workout their debts by engaging in sexual behaviour. They are abused and tortured if they do not comply. Lord, I pray for their safety and for their rescue. I pray that your Spirit will move among governments and their peoples that they will not turn away from this horrific situation. For those who may die in bondage, I pray that the love of the Saviour would envelope them and bring them into your eternal love. I also pray for those engaged in the organization and functioning of these slavery rings. May they come to an understanding of what it means to be a human being and repent of their actions, accept responsibility and act in love towards their victims.
Break our hearts. Raise us up. Save these people.
I pray this in your sons mighty name, Christ Jesus. Amen.
If you are going to join me in prayer for Modern Slaves for the next week, leave a comment or click on like.